Charm Bracelet Diva's Word of the Week : Bezel

February 25, 2010


Yes, I pick weird words.  And, well, yes, this post (technically) should be called Charm Bracelet Diva's Word of the MONTH ~ I know, I've not been keeping up with this weird jewelry jargon dictionary of sorts.  Better late than never I always say.

SOooooooo, the word "bevel":

Etymology: Probably from dial.  A form of French biseau bezel, from Middle French, date 1611. Merriam-Webster OnLine.
  • According to WiseGEEK.com, a bezel setting is a method of securing a stone into a piece of jewelry.  The bezel setting is probably the oldest setting for stones...it consists simply of a band of metal wrapped around the stone to hold it in place.  Go to WiseGEEK.com for a more detailed history of the word and its place in jewelry's history.  
When I think "bezel", I think of small metal pendants that are open and empty and waiting for either a stone, a photo, maybe a piece of glass (most commonly a watch face).  Just look at my Alice in Wonderland pendants, posted here over the past few weeks, and you'll see a form of bezel that is filled with an image, as opposed to a stone.  It is this form of bezel that I'm crazily drawn to.  You'll be seing more of my pendants in the future, I hope.  

Tonight I'm going to start a new type of necklace I've never done before and I'm thinking I might actually follow it in photos and do an actual....TUTORIAL!  We'll see how confident I feel once it's done.  Right now it's time to put the kiddos to bed.  Ciao.

It was a high counsel that I once heard given to a young person, "Always do what you are afraid to do."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Leave a Comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails