It's Not Too Late ~ Snow Globe Soap Tutorial

December 21, 2010


Okay, so I was trying to figure out what to do with my kids while they're home for the entire week before Christmas (and after, but that’s another story…) when I came across Alphamom’s post on snow-globe soap. I was sold on the absolute cuteness factor as well as its' relative ease on the kids’ crafting scale, so I decided to go for it.

Here’s what you’ll need:

Bar of white hand soap (3 for $1 at The Dollar Store)

Ice cube tray(s) (2 for $1 at the Dollar Store)

Small plastic toys that’ll fit into ice cube trays ~ I picked up little Santas and snowmen for 60% off at Michael's.



1 glycerin brick ($10 at Michaels’, I got it for $5 with my 50% off coupon)


1 bottle blue soap dye
1 bottle soap fragrance (I chose cinnamon ~ yum!)
Glitter


Vegetable peeler
Pyrex measuring cup or any glass bowl
Toothpicks

PRE-MELTING FUN
Here’s where the kids come in. Give them each a bar of white soap and a vegetable peeler. Have them “peel” the soap into curly-ques for later use as a snow floor.

I have to give equal time here to all three chickadees who were instrumental in the making of these snow globes!





In the meantime....

Step 1
Cut the glycerin into chunks, along the lines already provided in the brick itself. Our best guess scientific method proved that 4 blocks created enough melted wax to fill 5 ice cube tray slots. Place in Pyrex measuring cup or any glass bowl.

Step 2
Microwave on high for 1 minute. If it’s not totally melted, stir with a metal spoon and reheat for a few seconds until all is melted.

Step 3
Add 2 drops (AND I MEAN ONLY 2 DROPS) of coloring, and at LEAST 2 drops of scent to the mix. The more the scent-ier, if you know what I mean! I wanted a real strong scent so I just p-o-u-r-e-d it in!  If you put in any more dye the globe will turn out REALLY blue.  Like so.

Yes, I know Santa looks like the Abominable Snowman here.  Needless to say we're keeping this one for us.


Step 4
Pour the mixture into each slot of the ice cube tray, leaving about a quarter inch open at the top. Sprinkle the glitter into each slot, and swirl with a toothpick to mix it around in the slot.


Step 5
WAIT 5 MINUTES. You should see the mixture starting to “gel” and getting thicker.

Step 6
Carefully place your plastic decoration into each slot, and make sure to place them UPSIDE DOWN (because the bottom of your cube will become the top later).


Step 7
Now sprinkle some grated soap “snow” as the next layer of the cube, but only a little, because if you use too much snow the cube will not stay together at pop-out time. I used it VERY SPARINGLY. Then use more melted glycerin to top off the cube.



Now place in the freezer for AT LEAST A HALF HOUR to solidify. Take the tray out of the freezer and pop the cubes out as you would real ice cubes. And VOILA! Pretty petite snow globe soaps!





These are great hostess gifts as well as great little surprises to send to family near and far. That’s what we’ll be doing. Ssshhh….



To wrap, place in clear plastic bags and tie with glitter pipe cleaners. I got the label template from eighteen25.  And off they go!

I hope you crafty people have fun with these ~ it's all in the giving, right?

~ Happy Holidays ~

I'm linking up here:

BELLA BEFORE AND AFTER


FUNKY POLKADOT GIRAFFE


HOPE STUDIOS





































Leave a Comment!

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

So cute, I love these. WHat a fantastic idea. WOuld you PLEASE link up to **Amaze me August** and share this fabulous idea.

Thanks for the great tutorial.

Merry Christmas!!

Bella :)

Jen@eighteen25 said...

ok... these are darling! i've never tried to make cute soaps... i'll have to put it on the list for next year! thanks so much for sharing with us and glad you could put the tag to good use!!
jen :)

Jane said...

Super cute! Love the small size. Bet the shredding wore the kiddies out a bit too.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

They are adorable - cute idea! thanks for sharing the tutorial.
Hope you are enjoying the holidays!

DANA said...

I am your newest follower, and guess what?! It's linky party time again! I hope to have you come link up and enter my $50 american Express giveaway! Happy holidays!
-Dana, Saturday Mornings

http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.html

mousee23 said...

Squueeeee with delight

Coley said...

I'm putting this on my list for next year!! So cute!

Tracie said...

Hi, love these! I promoted this project on my Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/lifeinstages

The Single Nester said...

How fun but I don't know if I have the patience. Yikes!

Kyla Armstrong said...

Eeek! This are darling and my kids would love them!

Thanks for linking up to to TOO Cute Tuesday.

http://funkypolkadotgiraffe.blogspot.com/

Krystie said...

These snow globes are adorable! They seem like more work and time than your post allows us to know. Would you make them again?

Related Posts with Thumbnails