Ballard Designs Wanna Be Gilded Chalkboard

January 12, 2011

I can't believe it's taken me so long to get on the bandwagon. The chalkboard paint bandwagon, that is.  I've lusted after many variations on this theme, but I think you get my drift ~ gilded chalkboards rock! {Note: I wanted to share photos from page 46-47 of Ballard Designs' December 2010 catalog but I can't seem to find a reproduction of those photos anywhere.  You'll just have to take my word for it that they're totally my inspiration.} 
It all began with an oval gilded and scrolly frame from Club G.W., otherwise known as Goodwill.  No one has to know that it's actually plastic.  Sshhhhhh. It was all of $2.99.  I love it when that happens.


thrifted frame upcycle chalkboard




I really liked this frame!  The painting, however, was not entirely my taste, so it was perfect for this project.  I removed the screws off the back of the frame and removed the picture.  Then I removed the beautiful oval-shaped glass and got to work.

I set up shop in the garage and proceeded to rough the glass surface up a bit with sandpaper.  After I wiped down the glass with a soft, clean cloth, I applied two very light coats of Krylon chalkboard spray paint onto the glass. 

Krylon chalkboard spray paint DIY
It dried within a few hours, but the can said to wait 24 hours before using the chalkboard.  So I placed my new chalkboard into its gilded frame and I waited, and I waited and I .....well, you get the picture. I couldn't wait to write on my chalkboard!  Anyhow, day 2, here's how it looked.

thrifted frame upcycle chalkboard

Before writing on it for the first time, I roughed it up a bit with the side of a large piece of chalk, then wiped it clean with a felt chalkboard eraser. 
Then it was really ready for the unveiling. 

I can use it in my studio

thrifted frame upcycle chalkboard

 or anywhere around the house that could use a little chalkboard love.

I LOVED THIS PROJECT.  Easy, cheap and looks absolutely fabulous!  Now if I can just master that MAGNETIC chalkboard paint, hehe....Next time I'll share my refurbished gilded frame MEMO board (read: jewelry organizer), a la, you guessed it Goodwill again!  You know what they say, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."  Lucky me.  

I hope you enjoyed reading about my
Ballard Designs Wanna Be
Gilded Chalkboard. 
And thanks so much for spending 
time with me today!

Be sure to stay in touch:
Just click on my Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram icons in my top right sidebar. You can also sign up there to receive my blog posts via email as well.

If you sign up via email, you should receive a confirmation email in your inbox. If not, please check your spam folder
 (and/or your "Promotions" folder if you have gmail)!


Thank you!

Don't forget to Pin it! 





thrifted frame upcycle chalkboard

Don’t miss another thrifty, 

DIY home décor post!      


Leave a Comment!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did good! :D I might be the only one without a chalk board now. I would not have a place to put it if I made one anyway.

Tricia @ Vintage No. 35 said...

Great project!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Awesome transformation!

ArtfullyJune said...

Great makeover. I'm late to the chalkboard trend but I finally have the paint and even the vinyl - I just need to actually do use it now!

I find it amazing how different Club G.W. ( I love term, I'm probably gonna steal it.) prices frames like this. I usually have to pay $4.99 or $6.99 for a similiar sized frame if I can't find one in the color of the week that is on sale.

Kelli@Restore Interiors said...

You just answered an AMAZING question for me! I was just wondering yesterday if that stuff would stick to mirror or glass. Fabulous!! And you have had no problems with peeling?? I am going to try that RIGHT NOW!! Thanks for the info!!
Kelli

Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home said...

Love it! I am about to make something similar for my kitchen, I just have to find the right ugly painting haha. Would you share this at my linky party this weekend?

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

That looks awesome! It's always good when you find a treasure at Goodwill!

Honey at 2805 said...

Looks terrific. My Club G.W. is not has good as your, but do have a frame waiting in the wings to convert into the chalkboard.

red.neck chic said...

You had me at the words, "chalkboard paint". LOL I love that stuff - and yours is GORGEOUS!!!

;-D robelyn

Ellen said...

It looks fantastic! Welcome aboard the chalkboard bandwagon, too. I've got mine in all sizes all over the house. It's such an addiction... Can't wait to see more!

xoxo,
Ellen

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

So great! I love to make chalkboards when I find the perfect frame too- yours came out darling- I love it! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Kathleen! Great find and you did a wonderful job on this. Same with me about doing this, now I really need to find the right frame and get busy.
Thanks for linking up with VIF!
hugs,
Debra

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Me again! :-D I am right there with you about the soldering iron!! I have an iron and supplies and have only used it when I took a class. I may get brave and dig it out this Summer.
Enjoy your weekend.

Pinkim said...

Hi I love your blog, it is so pretty, I found you over on Never growing old in the awesome button section...I am there too: <a/http://trulysimplypink.blogspot.com/
Pinkim

Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home said...

Thanks so much for linking up! Hope to see you again :)

Pamela said...

Love it! Such a beautiful frame, too. I'm interested in the magnetic paint--is there really such a thing?

SuperLadyC said...

That's a good idea. Very elegant, but I do have to say that I did like the painting, god rest it's soul...

JULIE said...

I think I can see this in my kitchen as a menu board.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails