Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Buy a PB Slipcover {Can You Say Ugly Sofa dot com?}

September 29, 2011

Okay (have you noticed I start a lot of my posts with "Okay"?) I really have a happy tale to tell here.  So strap in and read on and maybe you'll even learn something!

Eleven years ago Mr. CBD and I bought a couch and matching loveseat for what was then our (second) new home.  And let me tell you, people, I LOVED that furniture!  Plaids and florals mixed together (I've always loved this combo), and I was in decorating heaven.  We didn't have a lot of other furniture at that time (like nil, really) but I was very proud of our living room couch and love seat.

But three kids and one more house later that poor couch looks like something the cat dragged in.


Here, take a closer look.



Don't get me wrong, I loved the pattern when we bought it but the seat cushions are misshapen (which is why they're turned wrong-side in in this picture) and the fabric's faded and yes the down pillows have seen better days.  I rest my case.  The love seat still looked pretty much like new since NO ONE EVER SITS ON IT (reasons range from "it's too short" to "I can't see the T.V. from there").  But I knew I had to do something about the couch.

Then one day I started seeing blog giveaways for slipcovers from a website called Ugly Sofa {dot} com.  I looked at their site and came to the conclusion that I had to have me some of their PB (ok I'm not supposed to say that) slipcovers!  I entered a giveaway for one but convinced I'd NEVER win I ordered a white twill boxpleat slipcover for the loveseat (they were out of the white twill for the couch).  I just figured once they got more in I would order one for the couch.

Lo and behold, people, I then WON a slipcover!  Thanks to Today's Creative Blog and Ugly Sofa {dot} com I was on my way to a more civilized family room!  Sorry I don't have a "before" picture of the loveseat but I was so excited when it arrived I immediately slapped it on and reveled in the transformation.  Voila. 


I took a few liberties with the picture in Picnik but I think you get the gist.  A friend told me that she wasn't expecting "the sloppy look" but I told her that I like to call it shabby chic!  Obviously I could have ironed the darn thing but who really has time for that?  I like the way it looks just fine!

And thanks to the giveaway I ordered the couch slipcover.  But I had to wait, and wait and wait for that slipcover to come in.  Apparently the white twill boxpleat in large is quite popular!  But Brent from Ugly Sofa {dot} com hung in there with me and fielded all my e-mails and made good on his promise!  Voila.


I can not tell you enough how tickled pink I am to have these covers transform my family room.

The pillows make a motley crew with my Target grainsack pillow, my flour sack towel monogram pillow, two toile pillows (you KNOW I love toile!) and that big one in the middle is an Ikea goose down pillow I bought a while back, never expecting how well it would one day go with my (practically) brand new couch!

I've wanted to make the move to more of a French farmhouse look for quite some time and I think I can  now say that I'm on my way!  I used to be so afraid of white ~ what with three little kids under the age of five and a dog and all but now I say pshaw on that!  I LOVE WHITE! {Psst, the fact that you can throw it in the wash doesn't hurt, either!}

Hope I've convinced you to check out Ugly Sofa {dot} com and see what you can do for your own ugly sofa.  Fess up.  You know you have one.


Have a great week, friends!

xoxo


I received nothing in the form of payment from anyone for this blog post.  The opinions are all my own. 

I'll be linking up here:

Leave a Comment!

KimMalk said...

What a fresh, new look, Kathleen. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with the new decorating possibilities. How lucky to win one slipcover!

Elegant Economies said...

Congrats! You did good! Your pillows look very Country French.Audrey

Debbie refreshrestyle said...

Congratulations! They look great! I love white slipcovers too.
Debbie

The Charm of Home said...

Congrats Kathleen on winning the slipcover! It looks wonderful and very Shabby Chic! I believe white twill is exactly what Rachel Ashwell originally started touting as the perfect slipcover when she began Shabby Chic! It looks great with your pillows. I love red toile too! Thank you for linking it up at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Congratulations of your win. I love the fresh new look and the fact that you can wash it makes it even better. Very nice!!

Youaretalkingtoomuch.com said...

What a fun easy transformation! It does look like it was made for your sofa! You sold me! My readers would love to meet you! You are right up their alley. If you care to stop by our Monday Linky Parties, we would love to have you! Love, Your new follower. Me! www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails