Yikes, The Contractors Are Here! "Before" Floor Remodel Reveal

October 18, 2011

Tuesday would normally be the Club G.W. {Goodwill} party day but due to "Life Interrupted" the party will have to take a back seat to all that is home remodeling!  {Don't worry, I'll be sure to do features next week from last week's party!  Thank you ladies for linking up!} This very morning the contractors showed up to start work and interrupt our daily life as we know it.

I'm not sure if I told you that we had a wee bit of a flood on our first floor back in March.  Okay, so maybe a bit MORE than a wee bit.  Let's just say that after dealing with most of the damage/remodel issues, we're now left with replacing the tile floor.  Which is actually no small feat since it covers a large portion of our first floor.  So here we are, almost Halloween, still working on the damage from a St. Patty's Day flood!

I took a few "before" pics to share with you what our floor looked like before, and then a picture of what they'll ultimately be replacing it with.  I'm getting pretty excited to see how this project will turn out!

THE FOYER




I know, I know, you're scratching your head saying "So what's all the fuss about?"  Well, the fuss comes about because water from the septic back-up flood got underneath some of the tiles and they're loose and cracking as we speak, not long for this world.  So before they all get in a bad way we'll be replacing them with - - wait for it -- wood!  I'm pretty excited about that, can you tell?

Now here are some pictures of the bathroom.

 The tile that started it all.  Yes, there's been blue tape on my floor for months.


 A full shot of the newly remodeled bathroom which they have to un-remodel (uh, otherwise known as rip that toilet up and vanity out even though we just put them in).  I've been loving it since it's been finished, but I guess now I'll have to wait and see if  all the king's horses and all the king's men can put it back together again.  The. right. way.  Post to come on THAT.

Menard's (Midwest big box hardware store, can you say Home Depot?) sconces.  Absolutely love them and will go into more detail after this round two is all done.

Here's the kitchen floor.  Boy, do those cabinets look so 80's.  I feel a stainless steel appliance and white cabinet transformation in my future..... 



And here's the big eating area.  We had the table custom made from the side of a red barn.  Gotta love the Kane County Flea Market and it's talented vendors.  Tune in later for a post on THAT. 



This is a long shot from the family room straight into the kitchen.  And yes, that is an open refrigerator door with a child standing in front of it at the far end of the room.  That happens a lot around here.  (I guess you've figured out by now that these photos were not styled in any way, shape or form.)

So there you have it.  Oh, and what are we replacing the tile floor with? 


No, not a green pumpkin (technically it's a gourd).  But the wood underneath it. We're going for wide plank farmhouse feel, but we couldn't go too light because the existing woodwork in this house is so dark, the contrast can't be too extreme.  Have you ever had this problem?  It was a bit frustrating, but we compromised on this flavor of wood.  Hope Mr. CBD likes it.

Well, suffice it to say that since the day is done I sit here in a room that has been plastic-ed and taped off from the rest of the house due to the severe dust fallout from a job like this.  Demolition is a real bear.  Anyone with me on that?

Stay tuned for pictures of the ongoing demolition.

Have a great week!






 

Leave a Comment!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

I love your choice for the wood floors and this is going to make such a huge change to your house. It is such a warm look, and will be very different from the white floors. I can't wait to see the new look!!

Suzanne said...

You're going to love, love, love the wood floors. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sorry you have had to deal with all the damage. Looking forward to seeing the new floors. I have put off getting some things done, just because I don't want to deal with the mess.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love the weathered wood floor idea. I can't wait to see photos after the installation. I also love the fact that you are keeping it real with the unstyled shots.

Grammy Goodwill said...

I can't wait to see your floor.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Oh my goodness! That's a lot of tile to replace. Your new wood floors are going to look so warm and cozy. It's such a pain to have major work like this done, but well worth all the effort and mess. Don't even get me started on all the water damage we've had around here over the past 20+ years. Just keep thinking about the end result. It will be gorgeous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails