Copy That: Pier 1 Imports Lace Lampshade Knock-Off

March 12, 2012

A few weekends ago my daughter, Chickadee No. 1,  and I had a few hours to kill on a Sunday afternoon.  What's that you say?  Of course we went to Goodwill!  But it was slim pickins there so she asked if we could stop at Pier 1 Imports.  She had never been to Pier 1 and asked me what it was like.  I told her that there would be lots of things she'd like but that they would be seriously overpriced.


We saw a lot of springy and Eastery things.  But I fell in love with a lamp.


 Or should I say a lampshade?

Up close and personal this lamp just really spoke to me.  I saw the price tag (no surprise there) and said to my daughter, "I can do that."  I knew exactly what I had at home that would help me do it.

First off, an old Wal-Mart lamp we've had for years and I've always been ambivalent about.





This is one of those items you run out and buy right after you move in and realize that the house just doesn't have as many overhead lights as you thought it did.  From a distance I guess it looked harmless enough.  But up close it was another story.  I mean, it's time had come.




So, are you with me now?

Enter my $1.99 drum lampshade from Goodwill.


And a crocheted lace blanket I picked up so long ago that I can't even remember where I got it from. It might even be a tablecloth. Now that I think of it, it was Goodwill, too. $1.49. Seriously.



Look at the detail on this thing!  Best part is that it's huge and there's a lot more where that came from!  But I digress.  So, I measured the shade's height and circumference and added an inch to each.  Then I cut out a template based on those measurements.  I taped the paper template to the table and laid the lace on top.  Then I just cut the lace according to the template.  I was lucky in that this material was very pliable cotton, but not too stretchy.


Lampshade in Progress...it gets better! 

And I have to admit that I even skipped the glue gun this time (not being the type who LIKES to burn her fingers) and used plain old Elmer's glue.  It was just easier all around and it dries clearer than a glue gun would so I liked it better for this project.  Once glued I used clothes pins to hold it all in place until it dried.  This took like no time.

In the meantime I was revamping the actual bad boy brown metal faux woodgrain lamp. Yes, you read that right.  First I primed it with a basic gray interior primer (think I should have used a metal primer, though) and then painted over it with an old favorite off-white paint I've used for many projects before.  It really needed two coats since the primer really did a crappy job. (Probably should have sanded first, too, but who has time for that? lol)   But it dried quickly so I was a happy camper. 

All right already!  Are you on the edge of your seat?  I present to you...my version of the Pier 1 Vintage Lace Lamp.



Okay, I'm talking Anthropologie-like here, people!  (Well, at least that's what I'M thinking!)


Are you in love?  I am!



Look, you know it's good when your husband likes it.  Mr. CBD actually commented (without prompting) that he liked it!  Doesn't happen every day around here, if you know what I mean.  And my son, Chickadee No. 3, asked if I was using the lace for a pillow.  You know, he's a pretty smart kid..... think I'll be trying that next.

Ok, I'm done tooting my own horn here.  Just don't ask me to wipe the smile off my face.

So what do YOU think of my Pier 1 Copy That?


Have a great week.


xoxo
Pin It


I'll be linking up here (among others) when these parties go live later in the week:

Leave a Comment!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I think you did great!
I have not been to Pier 1 in some time for the same reason - prices.

Decor & Harmony said...

Drumroll please.....now that's a Knock Off your lamp looks great. I really like the lace pattern. Good restyle Kathleen!

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, this is lovely! What a great idea! I would have never thought of this! Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial!

KimMalk said...

Your lamp is stunning, Kathleen! I'm posting it on my FB wall. :)

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is really darling!! And such a great idea! I have several lamps that need re-doing - I think one will have a pretty lace shade! Thanks!

Miriam@BeBookBound said...

Oh I totally love this! Any excuse to use lace and make it updated a bit is great by me, and this is a PERFECT application of that. So lovely. Great job!

Curtains in My Tree said...

You did good on the lace lamp shade

Curtains in My Tree said...

You did good on the lace lamp shade

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Great job Kathleen! I could so see your lamp at Anthropologie and it would be even more than the already outrageous price of $75 at Pier 1!

Ivy and Elephants said...

I think you did a fabulous job! (Even better, I think!)And you saved a ton of money, too.
Thanks for sharing it with us at WIW.
Hugs,
Patti

Sweet Woodruff said...

I love it. I'm so making me one.

Noble Vintage said...

CUTE!!!! absolutely love it!

Revi said...

I am magnetically attracted to good lamps, and yours looks AMAZING!
-Revi

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh my goodness this turned out looking so beautiful. What a great idea. I am new to your blog and am so glad that I found it!!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Wonderful transformation Kathleen. I'm sure your chickadees are watching and learning that style doesn't have to cost a fortune. Don't you just love those drum shades? Excellent job.

At Home in English Valley said...

Kathy , Lovely, just lovely. It must have been hard to cut into that crochet lace, but what a beautiful way to pay tribute to all that work! You are amazing my friend. Love, Penny

Latane Barton said...

Lovely, romantic.. I believe that it was 'meant to be' for you two to stop in at Pier One. You have an eye for things and you did a great job.

momto8 said...

wow..simply beautiful!!! you are the one that could make money with that lamp!!
I am your newest follower.pls follow bcd if you can.

Mimi said...

Congrats! You really did do it and it looks great. Thanks for the tutorial!

Ann said...

I have just the lampshade to try this on. Very nice knock off!

Mrs. H said...

Oh My! This looks great! I will be trying this! Thanks so much for the great idea! I found you on Home Stories A to Z!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Wow, I love the lace on the lampshade, and the paint really made the lamp pop.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks great, Kathleen! I do know what you mean ~ it is very rare for my husband to say that he likes something I've done without any prompting. Then, I know it looks good if he likes it, too!

Kristin said...

oh my goshh! That is too adorable! I'm totally stealing your idea and revamping a lampshade or two!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love!! Now I just have to run to my flea market booth and hope that ugly old lamp I just took down is still there! Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

So very pretty! Thanks for sharing....

little-d-tales said...

That looks Ah-MAZING. Who knew that I needed a lamp JUST LIKE THAT! Thanks for sharing :)

Gramma B said...

I'm going to use lace from my daughters wedding gown to cover a shade for a lamp for her daughter. The marraige didn't last but the gown, which I made, did. Am so anxious to do this. Have everything ready. Found the lamp and shade at the thrift store, perfect.

Revi said...

I love a good lamp revision, and this one is great!
-Revi

srpprcrftr said...

I'm thinking I'd love some lace on my Goodwill shade that was $4.99. That's least any lamp shades are there but I have found at least 3 nice drum shades I've used so not going to argue about price. Everything is twice as much here, no kidding. I get really disgusted and feel like asking if there's gold running thru whatever it is. When you've lived other places that have been so much more reasonable it's hard to live where everything is so expensive (like California).
Haven't been to Pier 1 in long time. So much to look at and hubs gets all cranky when it takes me so long. I like to look and consider things, how I could copy an item if it interests me enuf and think can emulate it.
Your whole lamp turned out so wonderfully, enjoy it cause it looks terrific.
Happy week

Related Posts with Thumbnails