Painted Storage Bench Transformation

April 8, 2012



I swear I've read about a thousand blog posts about how to paint furniture.  What paint to use.  Whether or not to sand.  To prime or not to prime? Brush versus roller.  Distress?  Wax? 

IT'S TOO MUCH INFORMATION, PEOPLE!

Am I the only one who feels this way?  My mind has pretty much imploded with the plethora of information out there.  So I finally said to myself  for crying out loud enough is enough and 
JUST DO IT!  
I mean, even Miss Mustard Seed must have had a first paint project, right? (Okay, so she was probably born with a paint brush in her hand but I choose to kid myself on this.) 

Enter the bench.     


I've painted other, much smaller things, but nothing this big.  We've had this bench for 8-10 years.  When we first bought it it was to go in the kitchen (in our last house).  It matched the wood of the cabinets and floors perfectly so it was a no brainer.  I loved it there. Then we moved into another house (in another state with another kitchen) and it just never found that same perfect place, you know?  Then I got the itch.  I mulled the idea around for quite some time, a bit too scared to take the plunge. (Listen to me, you'd think I was talking about something really life-changing or something.) Finally I said what the ---- and put that baby out in the garage for a redo.  Mr. CBD was a doll about it, despite how long it took.


Here it's open, cause I wanted you to see that it has storage and I love that about it!  I primed the whole thing (except for the inside of it, don't tell anyone).  Of course I later came to the conclusion that I really didn't need to prime.  Oh well.  I also learned that lattice work is a real pain in the butt to do.  But I really did want some contrast since the overall color was not very adventurous.  (Maybe next time?)  Oh, and where there's a liftable bench seat involved, look out  --  you need to take the seat off and THEN paint it.  And then have Mr. CBD put it back on without messing up all your hard work.  And I really am glad I did it, although it took me WAY longer than I thought it would!  After priming, I applied two coats of Clark & Kensington Paint & Primer in One (hence the no need to prime first!)  It's the new paint from Ace Hardware and I got it FREE with a coupon during one of their latest promotions.  I actually brought in a paint card from Pottery Barn's latest palette and they matched it perfectly!

So here she is.


I really love it even more now and think it just fits better into our current decor, if you know what I mean.


I'm not sure why the color went wacky on this photo.  I just wanted to show you the detail up close.  





I harangued over whether or not to wax it, and finally decided to go ahead and use clear wax.  Frankly, I'm not sure what the big deal about waxing is (other than for protection) as I really didn't think it looked any different after I was done.  Of course, I may have totally messed it up without even knowing it and that's why!  (Again, way too much info online about waxing, it hurt my head to try and figure it all out.)

Although my family wasn't thrilled that I painted it (not happy with change, I think), I'm happy I did it.  I'm just a bit less eager to start the next paint project now that I know painting furniture is not as easy peasy a job as many bloggers say it is.  Or maybe it will become easy for me, the more I do.  Ssshhhhh, don't tell my family I said that.  

I hope you all had a blessed and happy Easter.  We had a beautiful day that began with an egg hunt, then church, then a nice afternoon in the sun.  Back to the grind tomorrow.  And putting away all those Easter decorations.......

Hope you all have a great week!

xoxo

Leave a Comment!

White Lace and Promises said...

Absolutely fabulous! I'm not a painter. I start and never finish. I recently painted a test, but still not truly get the wax part as you will see if you look at a recent post of my newest project. But love, love the bench! Great work!

At Home in English Valley said...

Hi Kathy, Your bench turned out beautifully. You do all the hard things first, cutting lace, painting wood... I might paint a blanket chest I've been going back and forth on for years...The cutting of lace may still take me a while. Another egg hunt?! Your family is the best!!! Have a great week. Love, Penny

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I think your bench turned out great! I know what you mean about lattice being a pain to paint. Your hard work paid off because it looks fabulous!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I think your bench turned out great! I know what you mean about lattice being a pain to paint. Your hard work paid off because it looks fabulous!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow! Great job - I really like it a lot. I am not a painter either. Give me a can of spray paint and a very small project and I may be able to pull it off - Maybe. :-D
Thanks for stopping by. I hope to get back to creating real soon - so much other "stuff" going on these days.

Patti said...

Your bench turned out great...I love to paint but sometimes reading all the stuff out there can be pretty intimidating!!! Think I'll just keeping doing it the way I always have....it seems to work!!!

Have a great day!!!

Patti

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

Turned out great for a first big paint job. I know what you mean about all the info on painting and waxing. Way to jump right into it!!!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Looks gorgeous, you did an awesome job, and I know, I heard the wax, no wx, prime, no prime thing, blah, blah, blah. It looks great. Don't worry about it unless the paint starts to peel. Okay, I'm just kidding, that's not going to happen.

Decor & Harmony said...

:) I love the new look the highlight of white trim its a nice touch....I also got a free can of this paint I haven't used it yet. I think waxing deepens the color and makes distressing stand out a little bit more.
Have a good day Kathleen!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I'm happy to did it too! Fabulous makeover indeed. Sometimes you just have to "go for it" with the paint and hope for the best. Great job Kathleen.

Privet and Holly said...

Girlie, you did a
SPLENDID job!!!
I ordered Annie
Sloane chalk paint
six months ago, but
have yet to have a
go with it, because
just like you, all of
the info is SO
overwhelming. But
you are right, sometimes
you just have to
DO
IT!

Thanks for the
inspiration : )

xx Suzanne

Karena said...

Kathleen your bench is so beautiful. You really did a great job!

I hope you will come see my new Annie Sloan Projects revealed!
xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

the cape on the corner said...

that looks great, i looove the 2 tone! i have yet to tackle a furniture painting project-i don't know what to do! there's so much info, but then some people who say "well that parts not necessary" or " i never prime" or something, and i'm like "which do i do?!?!"

momto8 said...

that bench looks great!!! you did a fabulous job!!
have great weekend.

The Charm of Home said...

It turned out wonderful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Comeca Jones said...

well now I love this!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Your bench turned out great, Kathleen! I think sometimes the painting how-to's are like what I tell my husband, "You overthink things. Stop it!". Love the storage it provides, too. Since downsizing anything that can provide storage is a plus to me!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails