October 6, 2012

Apple Pie Love {the best apple pie EVER}


Fall is by far my most favorite time of the year.  And one of nature's most abundant gifts around this time of year is apples.

Source: sphaha.alone.at via - on Pinterest

We eat them all year round, but during the fall season so many more varieties are available.






I finally got around to making my absolute favorite apple pie this weekend.  Yes, some of us had it for breakfast {now that's apple pie love!} and I'm looking forward to having some tomorrow with whipped cream and warm caramel.  Doesn't that sound good?

I thought I'd share the recipe with you since it really is one of the easiest and best-tasting things I've ever made.  And it's always been a big Thanksgiving hit.

Classic Apple Pie

Soften (in the microwave) 4 1/2 pounds peeled, cored and sliced apples* in 4 tablespoons butter with 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon.  You basically heat and stir periodically until all the butter's melted and the ingredients are mixed really well.   

Let cool.

Mix in 3 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 teaspoons vanilla (I usually go heavy on the vanilla).

Mound in a pastry shell (after brushing egg white on the very bottom of the shell to help keep the crust from getting soggy during cooking) and seal with another pastry disk as you would a two-crust pie (I use Pillsbury refrigerated ready-made pie crust, no one knows the difference!)

Fold the top shell over the bottom and shell and seal around the edges.  Use the fork tines to make pretty impressions all around the edge of the pie crust.  Then make 4 thin slices in the form of a cross on the very top of the pie crust in the middle (to allow the juices to bubble out).  

Bake in  a preheated 400 degree oven for 50 minutes.  Cool before slicing.  

*You can use any apples you like.   I usually use Rome.  This time I used a mix of Honeycrisp and Gala.

And remember: a little whipped cream or ice cream and warm caramel never hurts!




Bon appetit!

xoxo

Pin It

2 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Oh my! Yes - Would love to have a big piece of that pie in the morning with lots of caramel sauce and whipped cream. I just gained 20 pounds just thinking about it now. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend. 47 and light rain here as I type - Yuk!

At Home in English Valley said...

What a great Idea to use the microwave to soften the apples. Some varieties stay hard even after baking. I wait for my favorite apple all year, called Pacific Rose from Washington State. They are available from late November till February...I hoard them when I can find them, they are soooo good. I only eat them as is...the other varieties can go into my pies! Thanks for another great tip Kathy. Have a great week. Love, Penny

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails