Easy DIY Mossy Easter Basket

March 27, 2015

Easy DIY Mossy Easter Basket

I've been loving on those Pottery Barn moss-covered Easter baskets for the
past few years and, well, I decided that it's finally time to do something about
it. So I went to my local Hobby Lobby (with coupon of course) and picked up
a bag of moss.

bag of crafting moss

Then all I needed was the right basket. Turns out Goodwill came to
 my rescue once again in the form of this $1.49 grapevine basket.

grapevine basket

grapevine basket

The project is pretty simple to do. But as with any hot-glue project, be
sure to protect your hands from getting burned! NOTE: I found it
helpful to squeeze the glue gun over the basket and then add the
moss, as opposed to trying to put glue on the moss first.
No burned fingers that way.

You only need four things.

Materials:

1. bag of moss 2. basket 3. hot glue gun 4. glue sticks

It's that simple. So let's get started.

Here's the basket in progress.


I started at the top and worked my way around the basket. You just
have to eyeball it and spread the moss where you think the basket
needs it most. I still had a bit of moss left over after I had covered
the entire basket.
 
 


I chose to leave the handle bare since it would make it easier to pick up, and I
liked the look of the rustic grapevine in contrast with the mossy texture.
  

Once you think you're finished, go back and fill in any small bare spots.


I also glued some moss all around the top inside of my basket.


I thought it gave it a more finished look.



Easy DIY Mossy Easter Basket
 
So, what should I put in my basket?
I have an idea I've been working on.
Here's a clue.


If it works out I'll be back to share, hopefully before Easter.
 
Can YOU guess what I'll be putting in my moss Easter basket?

   Stay in Touch @
Facebook.com/CharmBraceletDiva
Pinterest.com/charmbdiva
 
Twitter.com/CharmBDiva
 

Enter your email address in the box below
to join my e-mail subscriber list:

then click


Delivered by FeedBurner

And be sure to confirm your subscription
when prompted by email!
Don't miss another
thrifty
 
DIY
 
home decor post!

Leave a Comment!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

This is so sweet and so easy too. GW to the rescue once again.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Perfect! I always get my baskets at GW.....Looks like you are eating a lot of eggs lol...You have us on the edge of our chairs!

Carol

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Cute! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the egg shell. :)
There is a bag of that moss here somewhere, and suspect it is brown and ugly as have not used it for anything in a long time.
Enjoy the weekend.

Diana Petrillo said...

SO fun and spring, Kathleen. It's snowing today, so not too sure when spring plans on arriving in the great Northeast :)

srpprcrftr said...

Great basket for Easter and way after that. The moss makes such a difference on how it looks. That type basket is better with the moss on it. Noticed a lot of papers around your work area, moss is so messy, yuk. I love look of moss, especially what you used, but such a mess to work with and clean up. I've tried working on deck but soon as I do wind comes up like a tornado. (Same as when trying to hang laundry). Like that you didn't cover the handle, good idea.
Will look forward to seeing what you put in basket. Colored eggs maybe? We don't have to color ours, our chickens give us peach color and light blue egg shells, (besides some white ones)really pretty.
Easter is such a fun time, lots of adorable things to make and decorating house, just what we need after winter. So sorry to hear northeast is still getting snow. Come on Mother Nature, give them a break.
Hope you have wonderful weekend

Zarina Quinn said...

I have to admit I'm not feeling the moss thing for the Easter basket at our house (we have a one year old and she's getting a basket in classic Easter colors), but if I was doing a porch set up I would totally do this!

DD's Cottage said...

I love the green moss and can't wait to see what you do with the egg!

Related Posts with Thumbnails