Vintage Bar Cart Transformation For Under $30

August 21, 2015


It may take me a while to actually complete a project, but I really do get with the program pretty early on. Take bar carts, for example. I've been seeing them in every shape and form over the past like, gajillion months, and I have a HUGE crush on them! I've seen new ones, old ones, refurbished ones. Mine's a refurbished one. And I couldn't be happier. We all know bar carts can cost a pretty penny these days due to their popularity. Mad Men and all that, I guess.


Here it is in all its retro glory. I picked it up at an impromptu stop at a local yard sale. $10.00 score!  I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. It just needed a good cleaning and sprucing up. I took it outside and hosed it down, and scrubbed away the dirt and cobwebs. Then I began taking it apart.


Here's one of the lovely black plastic caster wheels. I think you can see why I felt the need to change it up a bit.


Despite its, um, unattractive qualities, it has good bones AND it folds up for easy storage!


So I began to spruce her up with spray paint.


I'm so crushing on gold these days (unusual for me, I know) so I used Rustoleum American Accents 2x Ultra Cover in Metallic Bright Gold spray paint.

While the spray paint was drying I traced the shelves onto a funky hot pink chevron pattern vinyl tablecloth. I figured it was cheap ($3.99) and waterproof, so why not?


Here I am kneeling on the tablecloth on the floor.  And yes, our wheaten terrier is pretty bold. She just plops herself down wherever she pleases to have a good chew on her toy. As for cutting the tablecloth to size, just put your shelf faced down on the back side of the cloth and trace around it, a few inches out all around.


Here it is on top of the tablecloth cut out. I wanted to staple it on but the staples would have gone through the particleboard. So I had to resort to plan B - the glue gun. I gotta tell you I have a love-hate relationship with glue guns. It got the job done but I felt that it was a lot messier than I would have liked . (Hence, no pictures.) I also picked up four black wheel casters with shiny gold covers and used them to replace the old ones. What a difference they made to the overall look of the cart!

Now I'm going to overwhelm you with pictures of the finished product. (Don't say I didn't warn you.) I had so much fun styling this thing for the photo shoot! I even made pink lemonade, yum! I really did have fun staging this whole thing. Most of what I used was either from Goodwill, thrifted in some other way or just plain super-cheap. Surprised, right?


The straws are from the dollar bin at Target. Don't you just love the polka dots? They're sitting in a mint julep cup that I've had forever.


The heavy glass lemonade pitcher is from Goodwill: $1.99. I absolutely love it! It has a beautiful shape and perfectly crafted spout.


The white metal colander was $.99 at Goodwill. The reindeer was another Target find from a few years ago - I can't remember the price.


The "vase" is a vintage blue Ball Jar that I love to use for our hydrangeas (I'm obsessed). And can you see the vintage martini shaker in the back? I'm really glad that I could fill my vintage bar cart with so many thrifted and vintage finds!



 






 So here we go one last time.

Before:


After:


What do you think? I obviously staged it as a bar cart, but for now it's going into Chickadee Number Two's bedroom as a funky side table. (No coincidence that her room is pink so it will go great in there.) I think I've got an even better idea for it once I move it into her room. I'll be sure to share that later.

Let me know what you think of my transformation!

Be sure to stay in touch:
 
   Facebook.com/CharmBraceletDiva
Pinterest.com/charmbdiva
Twitter.com/CharmBDiva

Enter your email address in the box below
to join my e-mail subscriber list:

then just click:


(And be sure to confirm your subscription
when prompted by email!)
Don't miss another
vintage/thrifty/DIY
 
home decor
post!
 

Leave a Comment!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Your bar cart turn out beautifully. I love the way you styled it too.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did a great job! Much improved.
The pitcher of lemonade looks so refreshing.
Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Your bar cart is fantastic! I love the brightly colored fabric you used to cover the shelves. You did a great job and really turned this piece into a treasure!

Home on the Corner said...

Wow! Looks great! I just redid a bar cart too! I found mine at a yard sale too...for $10! If you would like to take a look, here is the link-
http://homeonthecorner.com/2015/08/17/fabulous-vintage-beverage-cart-makeover/
Hope you have a great weekend!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love the vinyl table cloth idea. It's going to make a fun end table in your daughter's room. Great job!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Kathleen,
You did a great job on this makeover...you now have one cute bar cart.

Blessings,
Linda

My thrift store addiction said...

Hey Kathleen, this turned out super cute! Blessings, Cecilia

Diana said...

Love it to bits, Kathleen! You do amazing work and the staging is super duper. I've got a small cart in my booth right now and you're making me consider bringing it home and giving it a do-over. Hmmm...

The Charm of Home said...

Great bar cart Kathleen! It makes me think of Mad Men. Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

What a fun project! Thanks for sharing at Shabbilicious Friday. Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Related Posts with Thumbnails