Dried Hydrangea Decor/Fall Decorating: Junk Visionaries October Challenge

October 5, 2015

Today I'm sharing one way I use dried hydrangeas from the garden as fall floral decor.

dried hydrangeas vintage shutter fall display

Are you a junk visionary? I'm so excited to be a part of the Junk Visionaries group. A few talented blogging friends and I get together once a month and post great repurposed stuff relating to a theme. The theme for October is nature. So I thought and thought and thought. How can I bring nature into a repurposing project?



Well, most of you know that my all-time favorite natural element is the hydrangea. At last count we had over 20 hydrangea bushes of various shapes and colors to choose from in our yard! So the light bulb went off: hydrangeas! I've displayed them in so many ways over the years, I knew that I needed a fresh new idea for this challenge. And I came up with an idea that I think works well and I'm pretty pleased with.

I started out with an old, chippy, white shutter that I picked up as part of a pair at a flea market a few years back. At the time my thought was to use them for jewelry display. I did end up using one for that purpose. But this one had basically been sitting in the garage so I knew it was time to put it to good use.

At first I only used a few blooms, and some of my Baby Boo pumpkins. (Don't worry, it gets WAY better!)


Dried hydrangeas vintage shutter window baby boo pumpkins

 It looked okay, but nothing special.

Dried hydrangeas vintage shutter candle boxwood wreath

Here I added a ceramic black and white candle holder with a white pumpkin inside of it. Still okay, but nothing special.

I ended up trying a few different display tactics. The one I love most is where I filled the shutter with hydrangea blooms to the point of bursting at the seams! I like to call it the "cascade effect." I really do think it looks like a waterfall of hydrangea blooms, and really makes for a great fall décor vignette.
  
Dried cascading hydrangeas


I'm loving how it turned out.

dried hydrangeas canvas alphabet art silver loving cup trophy

Dreid hydrangea vintage shutter display

Dried hydrangea vintage shutter display

Dried hydrangeas vintage shutter candle white pumpkin

Dried hydrangea vintage shutter display

I really love the contrasting colors of the different varieties. It's a subdued fall display that I believe will really work well into the Thanksgiving season. I swear I smile to myself every time I walk past it!

I hope you enjoyed reading about my
Dried Hydrangea Decor/Farmhouse Fall Decorating.
And thanks so much for spending 
time with me today!

Don't forget to Pin it! 


dried hydrangeas shite shutter display fall decor pumpkins


Be sure to stay in touch:

Click HERE to subscribe.
Don’t miss another thrifty,
 DIY home décor post!
 
 
 

Leave a Comment!

Calypso In The Country said...

Very pretty - and I always love those little white pumpkins!
Shelley

Unknown said...

I love, Love, LOVE what you created! The gorgeous hydrangeas arranged on the shutters is brilliant!

Lulu said...

You've gotten the hydrangeas in all their variations and used them very creatively.

carrie said...

I love hydrangeas. This truly is beautiful. I'm a little jealous of your baby boo's, I can't find them anywhere!!!

Unknown said...

I love hydrangeas too and I love your display here! I need to find an old shutter to do this with ASAP!

One More Time Events said...

What a beautiful way to display your hydrangeas ....love it!

Salvaged living said...

I adore Hydrangeas and it makes me sad we can't grow them where I live. I would be like you and wallpapering my house with them if I could!!!! This is such a beautiful project and great idea. I have a shutter just like that so I will have to see what I can substitute, but I am not sure you can beat the Hydrangea!!!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

I love your finished result! Isn't it fun to create a display and just keep tweaking it till you love it?! Great job!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh I am sooooo jealous, I love hydrangeas, but they are hard to grow here in Orlando with the humidity, what a great variety of colors!

Carol

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Love all the hydrangeas Kathleen - so pretty. Cathy

handmade by amalia said...

Hydrangeas are gorgeous to begin with and this really is a cool way to display them. I like!
Amalia
xo

My thrift store addiction said...

Kathleen, the hydrangeas and shutter display is perfection! Blessings, Cecilia

Related Posts with Thumbnails