How to Transform a Thrift Store Basket into a Chic Home Storage Solution.

February 8, 2016



Thrift store baskets can be turned into stunning, chic home decor with just a little elbow grease and a little bit of paint. Today I'll share my secrets so that you can transform your own thrift store baskets into stunning decor as well.




I started with this wicker trash basket that I picked up at Goodwill for $1.99. Well, I'd say it's a bit bigger than your average trash basket. It's 16 inches in diameter. I was drawn to it because of it's lovely, whitewashed paint job, as well as the fact that I've noticed that any and all types of trash baskets cost a fortune these days! Am I the only one who's noticed this phenomenon? I mean, even the tiniest of trash bins can cost you upwards of $20 in some stores.

I had seen a lovely photo in a home décor magazine that showed a doppelganger basket being used as a firewood storage bin. And it had handles on it. So I figured that's just what my basket needed. Along with a little more sprucing up in the way of some stenciling.


Here it is with one of my DIY stencils taped onto it, ready to be painted. I will be sharing my stencil-making method with you in an upcoming post.


I really wanted to use brass drawer pulls for the handles, so I purchased a few different types to try out. Only problem was that it's really hard to find inexpensive drawer pulls that can be fashioned to fit around a circular item, like a basket. I saw a few that might have worked but they were too pricey for me. This set was my best bet, but they proved to be too small and not curved enough. I refused to pay an arm and a leg for the pulls so.....on to the next idea.


I went back to the drawing board and started looking at pictures of baskets that I loved. One common denominator for many of them was that they were embellished with some type of rope. Nautical rope was my favorite, however, that would prove difficult to find (short of mail order for a hefty price). I decided the next best thing was sisal rope. I've seen it successfully used for basket embellishment and the price was right so it was a no brainer at that point.




I created some "handles" with the rope, and hot glued them onto the inside of the basket. Then I just added some rope around the rim of the basket for a bit more embellishment. I thought it added a nice finished touch.

basket storage for blankets and pillows


basket storage for blankets and pillows

basket storage for blankets and pillows

I know I can use this to store many things, but right now I'm filling it with throws and pillows. It seems like I'm seeing that done more and more these days in home decor magazines and catalogs. I started doing it a few months ago with another one of my thrifted basket make-overs: How to Transform a Thrifted Basket with Paint. My family (myself included) is a bunch of couch potatoes, so trust me when I say there'll be no lack of throws OR pillows. If your house is anything like ours, you, too, have plenty of pillows and blankets piling up all around the house on couches, chairs, floors, etc. that are in need of a convenient yet stylish place to be stored.

I know that my love of turquoise and white is readily apparent here. And I'm a HUGE fan of DIY and thrifted pillows/pillow covers. Right now I really like how my new turquoise pillow looks in the basket with my white faux fur throw.

basket storage for blankets and pillows

I've switched out the pillow on the chair numerous times for this photo shoot. I couldn't decide which one to use! Here's a vintage flour sack pillow.

basket storage for blankets ans pillows

And this one is a Goodwill pillow. 


 I'm not sure if it's vintage but it sure looks like it with its charming lacework overlay.

Target Monogram pillow

Here's a turquoise and white monogram pillow from Target. The back of it is even more awesome, but I didn't want to bore you with any more pillow pictures!

basket home storage solution

Last but not least, here's one more combination I was playing around with. I added a turquoise mohair throw in place of the faux fur one.

basket home storage solution

Yes, it can be used for storage. But I also think it makes a stunning decor statement of it's own, no matter where I end up placing it in the house.

Don't Forget To Pin It!
  


Be sure to stay in touch:
 
 Click HERE to subscribe.

Don’t miss another thrifty,


 DIY home décor post!   




Leave a Comment!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

What a fun way to make an ordinary basket look chic and lovely! The handles are great and I love the way you added the sisal rope around the top too - icing on the cake! I use baskets to hold the throw pillows and blankets too!

One More Time Events said...

Love this idea and how you took an ordinary basket and turned it into an adorable storage piece with just a few details...very nice!

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Love this basket idea for storing blankets and pillows. I have been looking for the perfect one to have in our home - but, I think you found it. Cathy

ibshell said...

What a great idea! I love that you added handles with rope. I also love all your pillows. Way fun!!

My thrift store addiction said...

Great basket score, Kathleen! Love how you added the rope handles and your new pops of turquoise. It's such a happy color--I've had really enjoyed it in my home. I have an armoire in a guest room that is full of throws and blankets. I am always a fan of pretty storage ;)

srpprcrftr said...

I sure like your stenciled throw/pillow storage basket. How did you decide to use #5? Great that you could make your own stencil, hate to having to run out to buy something to do a project when I get in mood for it.
Your basket looks great with turquoise throw and white pillow as well as other combo. It is so nice to be able to get great ideas on blog land. Been changing up some things in house after holidays but not ready for spring stuff. Will have plenty of time for Spring decorations.
Your great storage basket will go with whatever you put in room being white. Lucky find with basket that size.
I found a small wicker chest at Goodwill recently I use to keep throw and extra pillow or two. Wasn't sure what I wanted it for when I found it but decided if I didn't get it would be mad at myself, sure glad I did. Might spray paint it at some point.
Happy week

joyh82 said...

Looks like a great place to sit and read. Love that shade of blue. And I love
the basket. I am a big basket collector :)
Joy @ Books and Life

Deanies Stash said...

The basket turned out so cute! I love organization/storage that is cute!

xo Dianne

Julie said...

Love the basket. Cute idea. Look forward to reading your DIY Stencil.

Related Posts with Thumbnails