Thrill of the Hunt #30

June 20, 2016


I'm thrilled to start off this week's vintage finds with one of my all-time favorite collectibles. It's something that is near and dear to my heart, and you've heard me talk about my love for it many times before. Yes, I think it's a sickness, but I'm okay with that.

 

Isn't she a beauty? I got this ironstone lidded bowl for $2.99 at Goodwill. I'm tempted to call it a soup tureen, but I don't think it's a true tureen unless it has the ladle and/or actual cut out in the top for the spoon to rest. All I know is this piece fits in well with my ironstone collection and the price was right.


I was drawn to it partly because of the scrolly handles and curvy design. And because, well, it's ironstone,


It did not have a mark on the bottom, but that has never stopped me before.


Enter ironstone piece number two. This, my friends, is a true ironstone soup tureen.


It also has the curvy lines.


And scrolly handles. The bottom reveals the words California Pottery USA 260. I found one, albeit with the ladle, selling on Etsy for $49.00. My cost: $4.13.


Here's the spot cut out in the lid for the (sadly missing) ladle. I love it anyway. Actually, I have ladles from my other ironstone tureens that can be used for this one if need be.


Ironstone piece number three. Yes, it was my lucky week! I was drawn to this pretty platter when I saw its scalloped edge.


I just love the scalloped detail. On the bottom it says "Morco China USA."  Turns out Morco produced restaurantware, so believe me when I tell you that this piece is sturdy! I saw a similar platter selling on Etsy for $19.00. My cost: $2.06.


At this point I believe I have 4 vintage ironstone platters. And I'm planning an ironstone platter gallery wall for our dining room! My gallery wall idea was spurred on by the fact that our roof recently leaked into our dining room. This is forcing us to do a little renovating as far as the walls are concerned. So why not redecorate at the same time? Lemonade out of lemons, people. Although I'm not sure how soon it will happen since I think we're going to be renovating another room in the house first. That info is under wraps for the time being, but I'll keep you posted!

I hope you enjoyed reading about my
 Thrill of the Hunt #30 finds. 

Thanks so much for spending time with me today!

Don't forget to Pin it!


 

Dont miss another

thrifty DIY
home décor post!
(sign up for emails in my sidebar
or at the bottom of this page)
Kathleen

Leave a Comment!

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Fantastic ironstone finds. For a while I found ironstone all the time but it is becoming more rare around here at thrifty prices.

Unknown said...

Such beautiful pieces! Good Will has been 'good' to me lately. Great finds!

My thrift store addiction said...

Great finds, Kathleen! I don't come across ironstone too often, but I love it too!

gary said...

Wow, all beautiful pieces! You hit the jackpot this week Kathleen! How do you know it's ironstone? I'm just curious....I have an ironstone soap dish, and it actually says "ironstone" on it. So I was wondering if it's marked usually.

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

I love the tureens Kathleen. I don't see ironstone around here very often. Not sure why.

Related Posts with Thumbnails