Country Sampler's Upstyled Home With Matthew Mead

January 13, 2017


For celebrated author, stylist and photographer Matthew Mead it's all about personal style. I don't know about you, but I can confess to having spent many hours perusing home decor magazines looking for expert inspiration to help me define my own decorating style. Anyone who knows me knows that I love thrifty and vintage finds, which are not mutually exclusive by any means. I love them not just for the thrill of the hunt and the thrifty price tag. I love them because they are the building blocks, if you will, with which I use to style my own home.


Matthew Mead is the editor, creative director and photographer for a fresh new magazine that's on newsstands right now called Country Sampler's Upstyled Home Magazine, and I'm happy to be sharing a bit about it here with you today. The magazine's tagline is "Clever Styling with Everyday Items," so to say it's right up my alley would be a HUGE understatement! I mean, decorating with things I already have and/or vintage/found objects is my raison d'etre!

There are tons of very achievable tips and tricks that even a budding upstyling reader can take away from this magazine.  For instance, how about some quick country style? There are numerous "Quick Country Style" tips throughout the magazine that are sure to spark your upcycling spirit.

Vintage Prince Albert in a can flowers vase upcycled

It's as easy as upcycling an old tobacco can into a planter. Fill it with colorful blooms and it will surely steal the show on any table or windowsill.

Vintage bundt pan upcycled as wreath and table centerpiece with flowers

Vintage bundt pan upcycled as wreath and table centerpiece with flowers

Or how about upcycling a vintage cake pan as a wreath or floral-filled centerpiece?


Wondering what's on trend this season in the world of flea markets and thrift stores? Matthew sets out five collectibles you can put on your thrifting list right now. (Everyone has a thrifting list...don't they?) From inexpensive frames you can use for customized wall art, to vintage buttons that can be used for a plethora of crafty projects, he shows you how to upstyle even the most everyday-type of objects. And to me, that's what makes it so much fun.      

VIntage shabby chic grate used as centerpiece candleholder vase upcycle

One of my favorite upcycling projects uses a chippy, shabby vintage metal grate that acts as a combination candle holder and flower display. I would LOVE to find one of them in my junkin' travels!


And if you're one of those decorators who cringes at the thought of having to come up with your very own original vignettes, never fear. "Anatomy of a Vignette" shares some quick and easy pro tips for assembling stylish and interesting vignettes using a specific color palette and simple items you might already have around your home.

Upcycled vintage linens bedroom makeover

One article shares ideas on how to redecorate a bedroom using thrifted red and white linens. Vintage tablecloths, dish towels, napkins and table runners are put to good use in ways you've probably never even thought of. I especially love the large basket used as a side table, covered with a vintage red and white embroidered cloth. Just beautiful. And you already know that I'll be on the look out for that basket, right? 

The magazine also shares a laundry list of upstyling secrets that went into decorating a charming restored barn house (squeal!) as well as an eclectic country home. Yes, I want to live there. (Both houses.) And even after all I've shared with you today, I've not even begun to scratch the surface of the magazine's plethora of go-to ideas and inspiration!  Upstyled Home with Matthew Mead is a great resource for anyone interested in repurposing and/or upcycling found goods into something that reflects their own unique, personal style.  It's available for purchase on newstands until March 5, 2017, so be sure to grab your own copy today!

Also, be sure to follow Matthew on social media to receive updates on all his fabulous projects, photo shoots and creations:



So what's your style? Farmhouse? Traditional? Country? French? Industrial? All of the above? If I had to categorize my style I would have to say it's shabby chic-industrial-farmhouse with a touch of French thrown in for good measure. Now there's a real mouthful! But it's true. And it's all accomplished with upcycled and upstyled vintage and thifty finds. I certainly do love me my thrill of the hunt! How about you? 

I'd like to send out a big old "Thank You!" to Matthew Mead for so generously providing me with a copy of this incredible magazine. And even though I received this magazine for review, all opinions are 100% my own.


dog on couch with Country Sampler's Upcyc;ed Home with Matthew Mead

And if Miss Riley likes it, you know it's good! She tried to hog it during the photo shoot.

dog on couch with Country Sampler's Upcyc;ed Home with Matthew Mead

I hope you enjoyed reading Country Sampler's Upstyled Home With Matthew Mead! And thanks so much for spending time with me today!

Be sure to stay in touch:
Just click on my Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram icons in my top right sidebar. You can also sign up there to receive my blog posts via email as well.

   
Don't forget to Pin it!



Don’t miss another thrifty, 
DIY home décor post!      

Leave a Comment!

Cecilia said...

Ok, I need to find me a copy of that! It sounds fabulous and right up my alley!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Looks like a wonderful magazine...I love the grate/candleholder idea! I always love his publications and ideas...very creative!

NanaDiana said...

I hope to get to Barnes & Noble tomorrow!! I would not connect Matthew Mead with Country Sampler but I think it is a really fine mesh! I have always loved his style and ideas.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Kathleen! xo Diana

Diana said...

Very fun post, Kathleen--I love magazines, too, so it was fun to be introduced to a new one :)

https://www.vintagesouthernpicks.com said...

Sounds like my kind of magazine!! I'll be looking for it in the grocery store next time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails