Handmade Super Easy Lemon Sugar Scrub

December 20, 2011


Okay, so I've given you a hint or two about some homemade Christmas gifts I was working on (with the kids) to send to family and friends.  I'm finally getting around to sharing the details of one of them.  With Christmas rapidly approaching (and just coming off an awful 24-hour bug, on the heels of my son's 36-hour bug) I'll be somewhat sparse with the details, but feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

I got my inspiration from an old post by Under the Table and Dreaming (May 3, 2010 post). 

I changed it up a bit, but it's essentially the same.

Ingredients

2 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 oz. bottle scented essential oil (I used Lemon Verbena)
Half-pint Ball jars (or any jars of your choosing)

This recipe ended up filling 6 half-pint jars.  You can use more sugar and olive oil for more jars, mixing as you need to.  Also, feel free to add more olive oil if the mixture seems too, well, scrubby. 

Just mix the sugar and the olive oil, adding about 2/3 of the bottle of  insert whatever scent you use here Lemon Verbena oil.  You really want it to smell good!  Lemon is one of my all-time favorite bath product fragrances.  Here it is mid-mix.

It'll look better in the jars, promise!

I used these darling jars.

And you want to include some type of spoon or scoop.  Here's what I used.


Can you guess where they're from?  Dollar Tree to the rescue once again.


The spoons came with these cute ice cream serving bowls.  Three bowl/spoon sets for $1.00.  Mr. CBD drilled some holes in the spoon handles and I tied them around  the outside of the package.

And here they are wrapped for giving.  I rubber stamped "Lemon Hand Scrub" on premade tags.




I got the Merry Christmas label download  from eighteen25. (If they look familiar it's because I used the exact same ones for my homemade snow globe soaps last Christmas!) First I printed, then cut them out and glued them onto cardstock.  And for a little glitz I brushed them with Mod Podge and a sprinkling of glitter.  

And today they went out in the mail.  I just love getting packages at Christmas, don't you?

xoxo

I'll be linking up here:

Leave a Comment!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your recipients will be happy. Thanks for sharing the tutorial. The little scoops are a cute addition. I just received 2 jars - 1 lemon and 1 orange. Smells good enough to eat. I think she said she used sunflower oil.

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

A delicious recipe and thoughtful gift and I absolutely love those scoops!!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

How cute are these?
I might want to eat the sugar and lemon mix before everything else is added!
Maybe I would want to eat the scrub too! I do love lemon and olive oil with basil.... hmmm.
Maybe I better not make this!
LOL

Seriously, a terrific gift.
Maybe My daughter and I can make some for her gfs tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing!
xoxox
Alison

Elegant Economies said...

I am sure you brought a ray of sunshine into the day of the folks that received these gifts. I could almost smell the lemony goodness!
Blessings, Audrey

Sylvia said...

Mmmmm I bet it smells wonderful too, your family and friends are so lucky!!

I have a lemon verbena growing in my garden window, am determined to keep her alive all through winter!!!

Merry Christmas,
Sylvia

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh wow...what a fabulous gift and idea. I love it. I can't wait to try this out. I will probably be selfish and keep them all for myself. lol....I would love it if you could link this amazing post to our What's It Wednesday linky party. I hope you can join us.

Paula
ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I can just about smell the lemon from here. I'm saving this idea and will have to try it next year. Thanks Kathleen.
I hope you and your family have a Very Merry Christmas. Hugs to you.

Cheryl said...

Kathleen,
OH my goodness! This is such a wonderful gift idea!! I am going to do this tomorrow!! YAY!! Love the packing and all.. LOL! I just bought a set of 4 of these jars from TJ MAXX this afternoon and did not know what I was going to do with them!! Well! Now I do!! Thank you! Thank you!!
Happy Christmas!!!
xoxoxo
Cheryl;-)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Great Christmas gift Kathleen. I'll have to try making some of this. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails